Who we are
What we do
Publish information about the criminal law to assist the courts to achieve consistency in imposing sentences and more generally in the conduct of criminal proceedings.
The Judicial Commission of NSW’s work is designed to enhance public confidence in the judiciary by promoting the highest standards of judicial behaviour and decision making. We:
- provide a continuing education and training program for NSW judicial officers.
- publish information about the criminal law and sentencing to assist the courts to achieve consistency in imposing sentences and more generally in the conduct of criminal proceedings.
- examine complaints about judicial officers’ ability or behaviour.
We are leaders in judicial education and sentencing research and share our knowledge and experience with the global network of judiciaries and judicial education providers.
An independent Commission of 10 members guides our strategic direction and examines all complaints. The Chief Executive, supported by two directors, manages our daily operations. Click here for further information.
The people of NSW will have confidence in the exceptional ability and performance of judicial officers.
To promote the highest standards of judicial behaviour and decision making.
- Connecting: we value our partners and work cooperatively with them.
- Professionalism: we are recognised for our integrity, our independence, and the high quality services we deliver.
- Enhancement: we continually improve the way we do business.
- Sustainability: we will consider the way our operations, products and services impact on people, the environment and the economy.
We provide services to the judicial officers and people of NSW, the courts, the legal profession, other justice sector agencies, law libraries and law students. We share our experience with other Australasian and overseas judicial education providers.
Our Strategic Plan, updated in May 2018, provides the framework for our operations.